Gen. Funston plotted the capture of
Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo.
On the night of March 6, 1901, He boarded the American warship Vicksburg and docked at
Casiguran Bay on March 14. From Palanan Funston group reached Aguinaldo’s headquarters
in Palanan on March 23, 1901. The Macabebe Scouts pretended to have been sent by Lacuna,
with the American officials as their prisoners. Thus Aguinaldo have no idea of his
impending capture until Tal Placido of the Macabebe Scouts embraced him. The
Americans then declared the arrest of Aguinaldo and his men in the name of the
United States government. Aguinaldo was brought to Manila and presented to
then military Governor-General Arthur MacArthur, Jr. (father of
General Douglas MacArthur)
at Malacanang Palace. On April 19, 1901 he
finally pledged allegiance to the United States.
The Philippine Revolution Ends
The first to yield to the Americans was by General Simion Ola. He surrendered to Colonel Harry
Bandoltz in Guinobatan Albay on September 25.1903. Other revolutionaries soon followed. Military Government
Wesley Merritt was the
highest-ranking American official in the Philippines after Spaniards surrendered Manila on
August 13, 1898. He established a military government and became the first American Military
governor of the Philippines. The objectives of the Military government are:
1) to establish peace and order to the Philippines, and 2) to prepare Philippines for civil governance.
The government in the Philippines can be classified into opposition and collaboration. The Americans
used propaganda and other means to win the Filipinos to their side.
The first commission was chaired by Dr. Jacob G. Schurman, president of Cornell University. Thus it became known as the
Schurman Commission. Their group arrived on the Philippines
on February 4, 1899. The commission proposed the following:
1. Establish civil governments in areas were peace and order had been restored
2. Set up a bicameral legislature with members of the lower house to be all
3. Appoint American and Filipino member of the Upper house to head the cabinet
4. Preserve Philippine natural resources
5. Create a civil service system
6. Assign highly qualified Filipinos to important government positions
The US Congress adopted all the recommendation of the Schurman commission.